Deadlines for Submission of Eligibility ("Deadlines" Article V, Section 3.B.2)
- Submit prior to the first date of competition.
If you have missed both of the above deadlines to submit eligibility for a team(s), immediately notify the National Office by emailing the Assistant Executive Director - Compliance, Brian Beck (firstname.lastname@example.org
Submitting eligibility late results in penalties; these penalties can be found in "Penalties for Late or Omitted Eligibility Forms" Article V, Section 3.B.4.
- The first offense for filing late eligibility results mandatory audits and a reprimand letter to the athletic director and college president. Any games played before the submission of the form will also result in forfeitures.
- The second offense will result in mandatory audits and athletic probation in that sport with no postseason play.
- Failing to submit an electronic eligibility form for the entire season shall be subject to disciplinary action by the NJCAA National Office.
- In the Eligibility/Compliance dropdown menu select Eligibility System.
Creating a New Form
- Select the sport from the "Select Sport" dropdown menu.
- Click on the button "Create a New Form" that is located on the right-hand side of the page.
Setting Up Season Information
- "Current Term": Click on the arrow on the pull down menu to select the current term for the eligibility form that you are submitting. Please select Semester or Quarter. Note: The program automatically defaults to "Semester" if you are a quarter school submitting eligibility.
- "End Date of Previous": This date is the ending date of the preceding term. Example if you are submitting eligibility for the fall term, you will enter the last day of the spring term. Consult your corresponding college catalog for this date.
- "Beginning Date of Current Term": This is the beginning date (first day of the term) of the current term. Consult your college catalog for this date.
- "Ending Date of Current Term": This is the ending date (last day of the term) of the current term. Consult your college catalog for this date.
- "Date of the First Game": This is the first regular game/competition date of the season. Do not count scrimmage dates for this date. If your first game date changes, please make this change in the Season Information prior to submitting.
- "Date of Final Regular Season Contest": This is the last regular season game/competition date of the season.
- "Type of Submission": Select if this is an original submission or a supplemental. . Multiple “original” forms can be submitted prior to the first contest. After the first contest if you are adding new athletes, forms need to be selected as a “Supplemental” form.
- "Pre-Populate Roster": The program automatically defaults to allow the form to be pre-populated with the athletes from the previous year eligibility and/or current year LOI signees for the sport. Note: There still may be a need to manually enter an athlete with the pre-populate roster should an athlete not appear.
- Complete the "Name, Email Address and Title" boxes then click "Save and Continue" to move forward in the program.
After setting up your season and click on "Save and Continue" you will see the "Student-Athlete Eligibility Form". The list of pre-populated students will be on the right in the "Students" column.
- If the student is in the pre-populated list select their name. Their biographical information will be complete, you must review the information to make sure it is correct, make corrections if needed then click "Save Athlete Info". New student-athletes not in the pre-populated list can be added on a blank individual student page by clicking the "Save and New" button; Complete Legal First Name, Middle Name or Initial, Legal Last Name and the Preferred First Name if it is not the same as the legal first name. (Please use proper capitalization and punctuation as this is how the names will appear on awards.), Gender and Date of Birth. Do not leave these boxes blank.
Educational Enrollment Information
Season(s) of Participation:
Select the current season for each athlete by clicking 1st or 2nd.
GED or other High School Equivalency:
The program is defaulted to "No". Select "Yes" only if the student-athlete has passed the GED or other state department of education approved high school equivalency test.
High School Graduation, GED or other High School Equivalency Date:
Complete the Date of High School Graduation (month, date & year). If the student-athlete did not graduate high school but passed the GED or other state department of education approved high school equivalency test enter the date it was passed.
High School Information:
Complete the name of the high school, city and state.
Date of Initial College Enrollment:
This date (month, date & year) should be the date of the student’s first FULL-TIME term of enrollment after high school graduation and should not be a date of a part-time term of enrollment. If the date is not complete with an mm/dd/yyyy it will not allow you to save until the date is complete.
Select "Yes" or "No". Select "Yes" if the student-athlete has been full-time or has participated at a previous college and has transferred to your school. Students who are transfers should be marked as transfers each time eligibility is submitted online. Their transcripts from all colleges must be on file at your college.
Full-Time Terms Previously Enrolled:
Count the number of Full-Time terms (enrolled/attempted 12 or more credit hours beyond that college’s 15th calendar day) from all college transcripts the student-athlete has been enrolled throughout their college attendance. Do not leave this box blank. If there are zero full-time terms for a student-athlete please put a zero (0) in this box.
Previous Full-Time Term Hours Earned and GPA:
Complete Hours Earned and GPA from the Previous Full-Time Term. Do not use a comma (,) in the GPA instead of a period as the program cannot read the comma and could make the student-athlete ineligible and do not round the GPA. Do not leave these boxes blank. If there are no previous earned credits or GPA for a student-athlete please put zeros (0) in these boxes.
Cumulative Hours Earned and GPA:
Complete Hours Earned and GPA for the accumulation. The best 24 and best accumulation options have been deleted; you must determine and enter the best hours and GPA. Do not use a comma (,) in the GPA instead of a period as the program cannot read the comma and could make the student-athlete ineligible. Do not leave these boxes blank and do not round the GPA. If there are no accumulated earned credits or GPA for a student-athlete please put zeros (0) in these boxes.
Hours Registered for Current Term:
Complete this box with the number of hours the student-athlete is enrolled in for the current term. If the transcripts show less than 12 credit hours, you must enter in this number even if part-time. Do not leave this box blank.
Physical Exam Information
Date of Physical Exam:
Enter in the Date (month, date & year) of student-athlete’s physical exam. Physical exams are good for 13 months. Example: If the student-athlete has a physical exam on August 1, they must renew the physical before September 1 of the following year. Do not leave this box blank. If the date is not complete with an mm/dd/yyyy it will not allow you to save until the date is complete.
Exceptions: All exceptions defaults are set on "No".
- Certified Learning Disability: Select "Yes" only if the NJCAA National Office has previously granted a Certified Learning Disability Request for the student.
- Hardship: Select "Yes" only if the NJCAA National Office granted a Hardship 1 or 2 Request for the student. Medical hardships from other intercollegiate athletic organizations must also be adopted by the NJCAA National Office prior to selecting this exception.
- 18 Month Calendar Non-Attendance Rule: Select "Yes" if you are using this rule. Student-athletes that have not been enrolled full-time in any college for a period of 18 calendar months or longer shall be exempt from the "First Season Academic Requirements". Student-athletes who have served 18 calendar months in the Armed Forces of the United States, church mission or with a recognized foreign aid service shall be exempt from "First Season Academic Requirements" and "Second Season Academic Requirements". 18 calendar month exceptions involving the Armed Forces of the United States, church mission or with a recognized foreign aid service must be approved by the NJCAA National Office prior to selecting this exception. Note: All 18 calendar month exceptions are one time exemptions, available only for the first full-time term after the period of non-attendance.
- 1st Season Accumulation: Select "Yes" if the student-athlete meets the "First Season Academic Requirement" in Article V, Section 2.D.2.f, and is a first season participant in their initial term of participation. This exception may only be used one time.
- Total Hours Accumulation: Select "Yes" if the student-athlete meets the "First Season Academic Requirement" in Article V, Section 2.D.2.e.i or ii and iii. This rule can be used for a first or second season athlete. A student-athlete may only use this rule one time. Once this rule is exhausted, the student-athlete must meet the requirements of D.2.c or D.2.d to maintain eligibility.
Submit Student Later:
- By selecting "Yes": You will be submitting the student at a later point. Make sure to save the student-athlete before moving on otherwise all information will be lost. If you select "Yes" to submitting the student-athlete later, then submit the form with all other student-athletes, a new form will automatically be created with this selected student-athlete. If a student-athlete is ineligible or you have missing information for a student-athlete, select "Yes", but do not play this athlete until all missing information is entered and the student-athlete is electronically submitted on eligibility.
- By leaving "No": "No" is the program default. You may submit an eligibility form with ineligible student-athletes on the form, but the program will automatically create a new not submitted form with those ineligible athletes. The form with the eligible student-athletes will be submitted to the NJCAA National Office.
The "Notes" box is for writing break or delay of enrollment statements or any information that was written on the back of the old manual form. This information will show up on a separate sheet instead of under the student-athlete’s name. Please reframe from using the following for the program could make the athlete ineligible: "# % ! & * / \ = + "@^*_=", etc.
After entering all information for each student-athlete you must click on:
- "Save": This function is saving that student-athlete’s information and is also doing a check on the eligibility for that student-athlete. After clicking on "Save" either word will show at the top left hand corner of the page: "Eligible" or "Ineligible".
- "Save and New": This function will save all of the student-athlete’s information and will bring up a new blank page to enter in new information for the next student-athlete.
By not saving, all information will be lost or the program will not complete a check on the eligibility for that student-athlete. The program does not automatically save information that has been entered.
- If any information is left blank, a window will pop-up stating what information is missing. The program will not proceed or save without you entering in the missing information.
By clicking on the "Undo" button, the program erases all of the information for that student-athlete you were working on if not saved.
By clicking on the "Delete Student" button, the program will completely delete this student-athlete you had selected. The only time you should delete a student before submitting the eligibility is if the student-athlete withdraws from the college or quits the team. If the student-athlete is ineligible, you do not need to delete that student-athlete. Remember you can select to have that student-athlete submitted at a later date by selecting "Yes" for the "Submit Student Later" exception.
By clicking on the "Edit Season" button, the program will take you to the "Season Information" page that you have previously set up. You are allowed to make changes if changes need to be made. If changes are made click on "Save and Continue".
By clicking on the "Delete Form" button, the program will delete the whole eligibility form with all information you have already entered and saved.
By clicking on the "Preview Form" button, a new window will pop-up with a view of the eligibility form that you have currently been working on. You may either close the window or print the form.
DO NOT use this form as the form that your student-athletes sign. Only the "Submitted" form is used for audits and eligibility.
By clicking on the "Exit" button, a pop-up window will come up saying "You are exiting without submitting. Press "OK" to continue, or "Cancel" to go back." If you click on "OK" the program will take you out of the eligibility form you were just working on to the "Student-Athlete Eligibility Forms" page. If you click on "Cancel" the program will take you back to the student-athlete you were just working on. It is suggested that you save before exiting.
Submitting the Eligibility Form
By clicking on the "Submit" button, a pop-up window will come up asking "Are you sure you want to submit this form? No changes can be made to this form once it is submitted."
- If you click on "Yes" the program will then submit your eligibility form and you cannot make any additional changes. A new window will pop-up saying "Your form has been successfully submitted." After clicking on "OK" the program will take you to the Student-Athlete Eligibility Forms page and will show the Date, Term, Status (Submitted), Submit Date of the form you just submitted.
If you click on "No" the program will return you to the student-athlete you were currently working on.
****remember to save everything before submitting.
An email will be sent from the NJCAA Office of Eligibility to the person’s email address that was entered on the Season Information page stating:
The following NJCAA Eligibility form was submitted:
Sport_____ Date_____ Time
This form will be reviewed in case of an audit conducted by the National Office in this sport. ("Eligibility Audits" Article V, Section 3.B.6) Your institution will be notified if audited.
The receipt of this email notification does not ensure that the eligibility for this sport has been successfully submitted. It is recommended that you recheck the content of the submitted eligibility form for accuracy.
Contact your Regional Director for any questions or concerns.
- This email is sent every time a form has been submitted. Therefore if you have submitted a blank form, you will receive this email. Please follow the instructions below in "What to do after submitting the eligibility form" to ensure a proper eligibility submission.
What to do After Submitting the Eligibility Form
- After submitting a form, the program will take you back to the "Student-Athlete Eligibility Forms" page which will show the creation date of the form, the term, the status of the form, and the date that form was submitted.
- Double check to make sure that all student-athletes who were in the eligibility program are now on the submitted form by clicking once directly on the form to reopen the form.
"NOT SUBMITTED" FORM:
If you see a new "Not Submitted" form this means that at least one student-athlete did not go through on the newly submitted form or there was a problem submitting the form. The new "Not Submitted" form is automatically created when student-athletes are ineligible and have "X’s" by their names. The "X" means that the program was reading the student-athlete as ineligible and will not send ineligible athletes through on a submitted form, thus a new form is automatically created.
Printing the Eligibility Form
After submitting the form, the program will take you to the “Student-Athlete Eligibility Form” page where you will click once on the printer icon of the form that you want to print. The Submitted Copy of the form must be printed, this will include a Student-Athlete Signature Page which is new for the 2017-2018 academic year. Each student-athlete, the Athletic Director, and the Eligibility Chair, Registrar or Dean must sign in the designated places. The signed and submitted copy must be on file with other eligibility information in case of an audit.
A "Supplemental" form is used for any new student-athletes who were not submitted on the "Original" eligibility form. You will have to create a new form for these student-athletes. Go through the same process as setting up the "Original" form.
- "Create New Form"
- Season Information page: select all Dates and the Academic Calendar.
- Type of Submission: select "Supplemental", not "Original".
- Finish entering in Your Name, Email Address, and Title.
- Click on "Save and Continue."
- Continue entering the information for the student-athlete(s) you want to add to the eligibility roster.
- Submit the form.
There is a 1-hour time limit for non-use of the program. After logging in and by not using the online program for 1 hour, the program will automatically log you out and you must then log back in to make adjustments to the eligibility as well as submitting the eligibility form. If the program does not log you out, but continues to allow you to work, it may not be actively saving your work after the 1-hour mark. Therefore, keep track of your work and your time and continuously save.
Deadlines & Penalties for Submission of the Non-Participation Form (Article V, Section 3.B.5)
Submit all Non-Participation forms for each team by July 1 of each academic year.
- In the Eligibility/Compliance dropdown menu select Eligibility System.
- Type in your student-athlete eligibility password.
Creating and Completing the Non-Participation Form
- Select a sport from the "Select Sport" dropdown menu.
- Click on the tab/button: "Non-Participation."
- Choose your academic year by clicking on the pull-down menu beside "Academic Year."
- Choose your sport by clicking on the pull-down menu beside "Sport."
- Then click "Display Athletes." The line below this button will show the year and sport you have selected.
- Complete the boxes by typing in your Name, Title and Email Address.
Below is a list of each student-athlete who was submitted in the online eligibility program for that team during that academic year.
On the right-hand side of the page is a column labeled "Participation."
Participation for each student-athlete is defaulted to "Yes." If a student-athlete did not participate in any regular season contests and should not be charged with a season of eligibility, click on the "No" button to change his/her status.
- After completing this column for each student-athlete, click on the "Update Students" button located directly above the list of students. This will update the list. A confirmation email is not sent for the participation form.
Deadline Information: Article V, Section 3.B.3 (Addition and Deletion of Participants on Eligibility Form)
Transfer student-athletes who have served probation or non-transfer student-athletes who have re-established their eligibility during a term of college attendance, can be supplemented to a team’s roster any time after the end of the term provided all student-athletes that do not satisfy the provisions on Article V, Section 2.D.2 (First Season Academic Requirements) are dropped as of the same date. This exchange must occur on or before the 20th calendar day after the term ends and a complete eligibility form for the subsequent term must be submitted showing all eligible student-athletes. If student-athletes are supplemented any time following the 20th calendar day after the end of the term, only the new entries must be submitted on an eligibility form and the next term’s eligibility form will be due in accordance with Article V, Section 3.B.2. The new entries may begin participating on the electronic submission date. Transfer student-athletes cannot be added before the full sixteen calendar weeks have expired.
- From the Eligibility/Compliance dropdown menu select "Eligibility System."
- Select the sport from the "Select Sport" dropdown menu.
Creating and Completing the Recertification Form
- Click on the "Recertify" button located on the right-hand side of the Student Athlete Eligibility Form page.
Select the terms:
- The "Old Term" is the term you want to recertify. For example: if recertifying the Fall term, select this term from the pull-down menu.
- The "New Term" is the term you are establishing eligibility for and will be submitting. For example: Since you are going to submit for the spring term, select "Spring 20xx" for semesters. If on quarters be certain to select the correct term (winter or spring).
- After completing these steps click "Recertify" if you are ready to move on. Click "Exit" if you do not want to move on.
After clicking on "Recertify" from the "Recertification" page, you will be taken to the "Student-Athlete Eligibility – Season Information" page. The "Current Term" has already been selected from the information you selected on the previous page.
- Enter in the dates of this "new term"; however DO NOT change the "Date of First Game" for this is the first game of the season, not the first game of the new term. Double check the term and dates to confirm they are correct.
- "Type of Submission" should be set on "Original" for your first submission of the new term.
- Adjust the Name, Email and Title if necessary.
When finished click on "Save and Continue".
A blank "Ineligible" form will appear next on the "Student Selection" page along with the names of the student-athletes who were submitted from the previous term in the "Students" box at the upper right-hand corner of the page. Click on the name of the student-athlete you wish to recertify. That student-athlete’s information will appear in the boxes.
The boxes that must be adjusted are:
- Full-time Terms Previously Enrolled
- Previous Full-time Term Hours Earned and GPA
- Cumulative Hours Earned and GPA
- Hours Registered for in current term
Make any other changes as necessary in the other areas of the eligibility form.
- Click on "SAVE" after updating the recertification information for each student-athlete.
- ADDING NEW ATHLETES: To add newly eligible athletes at the time of recertification click on "Save and New" and the program will give you a new blank sheet for a new athlete. You will not need to create a supplemental form at the time of recertification.
- DELETING ATHLETES: You may also delete athletes while recertifying by clicking on the "Delete Student" button.
- SUPPLEMENTAL FORMS: After submitting the recertification you will not be able to add or make changes to the submitted form and therefore you must create supplemental forms if adding new players as they become eligible after recertifying.
- After completing the recertification information click on the "Submit" button. As always, the program will ask you if you are sure you are ready to submit.